Wednesday, January 30, 2013

May we not be consumed by the things that should just concern us. And may we not be merely concerned by what should consume us.

"Do gringos have an easy life?"

This past Sunday, we had the youth from the local church over to our house. Gavin and Ella have been attending this youth group for the past few months. They played games, ate snacks, and sang songs. Then they asked us to give our testimony so they could all get to know us better. We were supposed to communicate it all in Spanish, but that made us break out in a cold sweat, so we brought in Dayana to help us. We told our story, focusing on the idea that God has a unique plan for each of our lives.  We talked about our struggles to have enough faith to follow that plan all the way to Nicaragua. We also spoke about the challenges this new faith-directed lifestyle brings with it now.







They appreciated our transparency and honesty about our struggles, and said that it helped them to understand that our lives are not perfect. Two different people told us that day that most Nicaraguans believe gringos live a very easy life.  I laughed when I first heard the statement because we have NOT had an easy life. I tried to explain some of our usual everyday problems and I just had to stop myself.




What are our usual problems? There is the problem with a good internet connection and the phone calls or the money it takes to fix it! There was that time that our car had to be repaired and we had to share one vehicle for weeks on end. I had to get up so early to take Cory to work! It was really a headache when my washing machine broke and flooded the hallways. And such a hassle to have to carry my laundry to the neighbor's machine and use it instead. Don't even get me started on the hassle of spending a Saturday grocery shopping and then always cooking dinner for my family.....the more I thought about it, the more I felt convicted that my problems weren't really that big. Maybe we do live an easy life. I know that I complain enough to convince myself it's not an easy life. 

I can understand why Nicaraguans, or people from any other developing world, see Americans' lifestyle and considers it easy. We complain about car trouble, but most of them walk and take the bus, allowing hours, to get wherever they need to go. Most hand wash their clothes and hang them to dry. Most consider it a blessing and not a burden to buy food and cook it. Most don't have a computer to begin with, let alone a good internet connection. Many study hard to learn the computer skills, that are taught to us as children, so they can use them to get a good job one day.

This is a picture of our neighbor's kitchen, outdoors in typical Nicaraguan style
There were two things that really got my attention this week and made this question keep rattling around in my head.  The school year begins here in February and goes until November. Public education is free, but the students need a uniform and supplies. We were shopping for these things because Amelie is going to attend school this year in order to learn Spanish. (At her age, it will be easy for her and then she can help me translate:)  I was surprised to find out how expensive the supplies were. It's as we said in the last blog entry in regards to Christmas gifts. The items cost the same, maybe even a bit more than the ones back home (because you can't find them on sale at Walmart), but the people earn so much less. So many kids want to go to school, but either can't afford the supplies and uniform, or their families need them to work instead. I really feel bad now about the homework tantrums we throw weekly.

My girls studying with a 16 year old, who is very excited to go back to school this year after being rescued from a life spent living on the street.

Secondly, our neighbor, Marjory, was telling us about her family. She showed us a picture of her sister who was newly married and had a baby boy. She died last May from pneumonia. How many young 20 somethings die from pneumonia in the states? I didn't know of any personally. The people here get really worried when they are sick with even a small cold. I thought it was strange at first. I finally found bigger hypochondriacs than me!  Having a cold is an annoyance for us, but they have had people they know die from illnesses that began that way. I feel really convicted about the complaining I did at home while waiting in the pediatrician's office. And I used to complain about that A LOT too. 

Our neighbor, Marjory, playing with Amelie. Marjory is also going back to finish high school this year. She left school when she got married last year at age 16. 
Are our lives so easy? I don't think it can be summed up as easy, but definitely easier than most of the rest of the world. We have had real problems too. When Amelie had surgery to remove the tumor in her leg, it was a real problem. When our neighbor found out he had a muscle degenerative disease, it was a real problem. When Cory's brother-in-law had a stroke this month, it was a real problem.  I just need to take a look at myself and make sure I'm not getting upset over things that aren't real problems. When I do, am I missing the big things that deserve my attention and righteous anger? Instead of "getting it", I feel like I complain more here. The shopping, cooking, dishes, laundry, car troubles, internet connection-it's all more frustrating here than it was in the states. I think God is really challenging me to be  not be consumed by the things that should just concern me. And to not be merely concerned by what should consume me. This is my prayer for this year. 

For those of you who haven't heard yet, we are now goat farmers!



2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you linked up with Compassion's blog!! I really enjoyed reading your most recent posts. I will be praying for you and your family! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Our Church has connections in Nicaragua as well. We have been running a Pastor's Training classes. MY husband and I Lord willing will be coming down next August. Where are you in Nicaragua? Please feel free to email me and maybe we could connect.
    Kelly
    believingin1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete